New Jersey Domestic Violence Lawyer
At the law firm of Gruber, Colabella, Liuzza & Thompson, we have a New Jersey Domestic Violence Lawyer who is experienced in domestic abuse cases that can help you get the safety, support, and legal empowerment you need to escape a violent home situation and regain your life or defend against frivolous claims. If you choose a domestic violence attorney from our firm, he or she will meet with you personally, listen to you attentively and explain the anti-domestic violence laws we have in New Jersey. Your attorney may even connect you with divorce and family law attorneys at our firm who may be able to assist with certain aspects of your case.
The New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act (1991)
In response to the need for tough domestic violence legislation, the New Jersey Legislature created the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act in 1991. Our attorneys are knowledgeable in the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act and offer comprehensive legal and personal assistance to victims of domestic violence.
When a victim seeks assistance from a domestic violence attorney for the filing of a court order under the act, they are provided with a variety of opportunities for support and protection through the filing of criminal charges and/or a civil lawsuit. Acting in your best interest and in accordance with the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act, your attorney will:
- Ensure that you qualify as a victim under the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act
- Explain how to initiate a domestic violence complaint and restraining order
- Explain how to protect your children and obtain a risk assessment
- Introduce you to programs for domestic abuse victims
- Prepare your case for trial, including gathering evidence and subpoenaing witnesses
- Help you pursue temporary child support and spousal support (alimony)
- Arrange a temporary physical custody and co-parenting schedule
- Request supervised visitation when required
By helping you file a civil lawsuit against the abusive party, your domestic violence attorney will be able to help you pursue financial compensation for:
- Destruction of property
- Lost wages and medical expenses
- Damages and punitive damages for assault
- Payment of legal fees
Our attorneys in northern New Jersey proudly serve clients throughout the area from Warren, Sussex, Morris, Hunterdon, Essex, Somerset, Bergen, Middlesex and Passaic Counties. For a domestic violence attorney who is compassionate to your needs and understands all of your legal options, you can trust the lawyers at Gruber, Colabella, Liuzza & Thompson.
Contact a Domestic Violence Attorney Today
A lawyer from The Law Offices of Gruber, Colabella, Liuzza & Thompson can help you learn your rights. Our firm also specializes in matters of family law and divorce, so our attorneys are uniquely qualified to handle the many situations that may emerge from domestic violence cases. Contact our attorneys today to schedule a free initial consultation.